The Brent Weeks Network

For fans of The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series

Book 4 Questions and Discussion [Lots of Spoilers-don't read if you haven't finished]

I'm just going to jump right into it.

1.  I think Gavin (Dazen) killed Sevastian and that was actually the first time he used black luxin to forget. I think I've said this theory before, but I'll reiterate it.  From my memory, there is no one else who saw the blue Wight, and Gavin himself said that the whole thing didn't make any sense.  There is evidence that black luxin causes forgetfulness and madness.  That isprobably also how he gained his first drafting abilities.  I don't think he did it intentionally, but the black luxin could have been triggered by a nightmare or something.  

On that note, it's still not clear how Gavin's eyes became prismatic and Koios' did not.  My theory is that because Gavin can draft white luxin as well (battle of Garriston and around Ironfist's neck in this book), that's why he is a full prism and The White King is not.  

2.  Consistency error: in this book, Essel said she's 35.  Is that possible? Gavin shrived her mother on his first Sun day (a subred from the False Prism's War, I believe- from book 2 maybe) and the mom made her promise to take care of her young daughter.  How can Essel by 35, unless she was approximately Gavin's age when he shrived her mother?

3.  Andross claims Kip to be his son, but Lina claimed that Gavin (the real Gavin) raped her.  It was mentioned that Lina was a librarian and Andross needed to seduce her, but did the book say Gavin rape her afterwards?  Also, the old prophecy of the Lightbringer makes sense now: "Of red cunning, the youngest son, Will cleave father and father and father and son.” Kip is the youngest of Andross' children (red cunning), but I'm not sure about the last part.

Also, I think that Kip's mom was a Chi drafter, possibly from the Order.  If Paryl causes deep emotions, than Chi, on the opposite should cause disconnection and possibly sociopathic results.  She smoked the haze to deal with her lack of emotion and the trauma of sexual assault.   

4.  I originally thought that Tisis' vaginismus was a plot device to keep Kip from fully connected with her and eventually get him getting back with Teia.  Now, I'm not so sure. I know it's a real, serious concern for women, but I thought it was meant to keep them apart.  Now, I think it made their relationship stronger.  In many fantasy books, and in the Night Angel Trilogy for example, Doll Girl had to die for Kylar to be with Vi. I feel like some fantasy authors having trouble defining and explaining these relationships in their books.  Like one has to die to reconcile the divide between them.  Brent still might kill off Tisis, but I think Teia's path is leading her down a dangerous path, creating a rift between Kip and Teia.

5.  One of the dead men claim that Gavin committed Filicide which is the murder of a son or daughter?  Did I miss something here?

Views: 3394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you about the younger brother. I was surprsied it did not come out in the converstations between Andross and Gavin(Dazen) but that may have been a form of mercy from Andross since i really think THAT of all things Gavin(Dazen) would not be able to come back from. 

Maybe that will be revealed if he faces Orholom since that might be the only way he comes back from that. 

As to why Koios does not turn into a Prism, I have 2 theories. 

1) When Koios survived the burning of the WhiteOak Mansion, I think he only made it past that because he broke the halo and drafted luxin to repair his body. If he did not find out he could draft black until after he broke the Halo, that may be the difference between a Prism and a PolyChrome Wight. 

2) (This is what I am leaning towards) He was already a wight by the time Sundered Rock came around and he visited the battle field. There was a point in this book where it was said that what Gavin(Dazen) did there was birth a Black Seed Crystal. I think Koios found that crystal and since he was already a wight, went ahead and incorporated it into his body thereby becoming a black drafter. Then he was able to add to his colors from the drafters he killed just like Gavin(Dazen).

I think only the Blinding Knife has the ability to remove years of drafting/repair the halo of other drafters and only when used by a real lightsplitter (unless Kip is ALSO a black drafter) 

Andross mentions after he gets hit with the knife at the end of book 2 that he has seen the knife used before and it kills not cures. So it has to be something special to Kip and likely shared by Gavin(Dazen).

But if Koios incorporated the black seed crystal, then how did Grinwoody have it at the end of the 4th book (and technically the white and Ironfist had it at the end of the 3rd)? 

I think Koios was always a Black Drafter, but didn't realize it until he had to remake his own body.

I keep editing this lol. As for the Blinders knife: Kip killed Atirat with the same blade, not sure what explains that.

When Grinwoody comes out with the Black Seed Crystal at the end of this book (book 4) he says the Chromeria is wrong about there being only one crystal for each color. I'm pretty sure the one he got from Ironfist was very old. Possibly from the time of Lucidonius. The Chromeria may have even used it's ability to erase memories to erase the inconvenient parts of history they did not want anyone to remember anymore. Kinda like how Ironfist's sister was able to use the Orange crystal as a lie detector.

And when Lip killed the green god, he died because when all the green luxin was sucked up by the knife, dude had no skin left! He could no longer live without the luxin

True, about the 2 seed crystals. About the Atirat: But when Kip actually plunged the dagger into his head, Kip felt bone and brain matter and he twisted it (if I remember correctly). When Kip stabbed both Andross and Gavin, there was no physical damage.  

Ya, that may be able to be explained as no one else got stabbed in the head and no one else had been entirely reliant on the luxin for survival.

As soon as the knife entered, Atirat was dead and that is when Kip felt the skull? Maybe something like that. 

In that same scene just before the Atirat fight, I think Kip stabbed one of the giant green lady-wights in the leg. It completely reverted her to human form, cleared the green luxin from her eyes and left her alive. I think she was killed after that by a musket ball or one of the canon shots.

Or the whole thing with Vox, Kip didn't kill Vox. Vox killed himself when he realized he lost his drafting.

I feel the need to brag a bit. Brant Weeks has so many amazing, unexpected twists in his books but for the first time I had one figured and was even confident enough in my theory to post it on here back in 2014. I had kip being Andross' son instead of grandson figured. Look at my old posts and be amazed by my genius!! Kidding of course. The book was really good. Very different from the first three in that our characters have moved on to the more adult portions of their lives. Even Karris who has been an adult has grown in her responsibilities and it's fascinating to watch kip grow into a competent leader. The finale book is going to be epic and I'm excited about what could happen. I think this book has set up a wild ride for book 5. I like where everyone is from kip with his army to the white king with his bane. Tisis was a truly pleasant surprise in this book. I was pulling for teia at the end of book 3 but everything Tisis has done in this novel has completely changed my mind. 

There are a couple of comments in the book about how the Blinders Knife can only be truly used by a prism. However this was said by Andross, and like you said, at the end of the second book after Andross is hit with the Knife he seems quite confused about what it has done to him, so maybe he does not know as much as he thinks he does.

I think Kip may very well be able to draft one or both of Black and White Luxin. We know the blinders knife can repair the halo. But we don't know exactly how it works and weather it is the black or white luixn in the knife that repairs the halo. We know that the mighty have been drafting a lot, and have burned through their halos. One possibility in the next book is that someone in the mighty breaks their halos. Kip drafts both Black and White. He then goes on to create a new blinders knife.

I think Kip can draft Black safely without damaging his memories. Either through drafting white at the same time as black. Or by feeding memories of his time in the cards into the black rather then his own memories. And when he needs the cards memory back he can just go relive them

Another possibility for when Kip drafts white or black in the next book is when he returns to the Chromeria. According to Commander Fisk the lightbringer will return when hope itself is lost and when abominations come to the Chromeria the lightrbringers holy light will shine through. I think the abominations are the banes/colour gods. All seven will attack the Chromeria leaving the chromeria defenceless as their drafters will be under the control of the gods. Kip will return in time to draft white and destroy the gods. Alternately he drafts black and destroys the gods. The holy light makes it sound like white luxin. But there is also another part of the prophecy about how the lightbringer will save everyone with what everyone abhors, i.e. back luixn.

"But we don't know exactly how it works and weather it is the black or white luixn in the knife that repairs the halo. "

Good point! We know that black drafters steal other drafters powers; maybe the white gives the power and lightsplitting? That's how the blade works: stab drafter-->black steals abilities-->stored in gems-->white gives powers and lightsplitting to another person.  

Didn't Grinwoody say it can only be wielded by a lightsplitter? But also, I don't think kip is a lightsplitter. He's a full-spectrum polychrome, but doesn't have prismatic eyes. Gavin is likely a lightsplitting black drafter. Once he absorbed the powers of the White Oaks, his eyes became prismatic.  

Therefore, white luxin also might give lightsplitting abilities?

Pretty sure the Black takes and the White gives.

We did have that one vision from the Shimmercloak card that showed the old lady harvesting Red Drafting to make a cloak. She used a black luxin knife (HellStone Dagger?) to take the drafting, which killed the drafter. When the crystal was full, she took it out of the knife and screwed what they described as a white pen like device to it. Then she was able to "write" runes on the proto-cloak until she had achived the desired effect. 

They way I figure it. The Color Council has been picking the new Prism by who can afford to kill up to 7 of their drafters to in order to pour all of that collected drafting into the prospective Prism. I also think that the level of power in those sacrificed makes a difference. so if the family of the new Prism was too cheap to use their best drafters, it means the new Prism may not last the full 7 years. 

Remember Gavin(Real) was no lightsplitter prior to his being made one by the knife. At first I thought they were killing the old Prism and passing his abilities on to the next like a flame being handing to different runners in the Olympics. Now I think it is just a side affect of combining all the drafting together like that. Not that that makes them a real lightsplitter, it just gives them the Prismatic eyes (Otherwise Kip would have the same eyes right?). We know from Teia that the 2 are not one and the same. 

I also think this is why Gavin(real) had the dagger with him while traveling with the army. I think he was killing people with it to boost his drafting to make sure he was far stronger than Dazen. If power level transferred is limited to the ability taken it could mean more drafters equaling quantity over quality? This may also be why Dazen is so much stronger than others due to his constant intake from hunting wights. 

Kip would have the prismatic eyes, if he were a lightsplitter. Only full spectrum polychromes with lightsplitting have prismatic eyes. Think about what a prism is: takes white light and separates it into various colors.  I think a logical extension is that white luxin allows for lightsplitting.

Can only lightsplitters draft white? If that were true, then Kip, right now, cannot because he's not a splitter (according to my theory).  What makes you think that Kip is a lightsplitter? Teia doesn't have prismatic eyes because she's not a full spectrum polychrome.

Here's what I think:

Lightsplitting (LS) + FSP (full spectrum polychrome) =prism

LS + Paryl= Mistwalker.

LS+ mono, bi, or poly (not FSP)= shimmercloak drafter. Which explains why Gavin (Dazen) can use the cloak after he's lost blue and green. However, it doesn't explain why his eyes are still prismatic...that's the only issue with my theory.

Gavin (the real) was a polychrome before the ceremony, right? Then he had the ceremony, he became a full spectrum with lightsplitting. It's the only explanation I can think of. 

I completely agree about why Gavin was bringing the dagger with him, and Dazen's strength (hunting wights) due to the properties of black luxin.

Except for the full spectrum part, that would include Paryl and Chi and with only the seven crystals in the knife, it likely can only collect those colors.

I think there is also a balance going on with the colors with only Yellow really being on its own as a middle color. If that is the case than White and Black SHOULD be opposites. From what we can see so far, it takes Black luxin to draw other luxin from the body. Even "dead" luxin works like that as we see in the color prison and during the testing of the cadets for blackguard. The balance for taking away luxin should be the giving part. I think the prismatic eyes are just a side effect really of that process as something that happens to a drafter if all that other drafting gets poured into them. Somehow Dazen did it to him self and i do not think he ever drafted white until the battle for the Brightwater wall.(not that we would know for sure since he has so many holes in his memory.)

I think White & Black Drafting are far more rare than even Lightsplitters. to the point where i do not think there has been a real black drafter since Lucidonius. also being that while no one is really surprised about black luxin, white luxin is considered to be a total myth. If you take into account the massive amount of black (dead or otherwise) lying around there is by comparison very little examples of white luxin. Outside the knife i think there have been only very little pieces shown.

So in order or rarity from least to most it would be something like:

MonoChrome > BiChrome> PolyChrome > LightSplitter > Black Drafting > White Drafting. 

If anything it seems that only the combination of the 7 Primary colors results in one gaining the prismatic eyes. this does not necessarily make them true lightsplitters though since i think that has something to do with their skin rather than their eyes. (I am thinking of the master cloak when Kip first got it from Abbadon, it was made from human skin if that was not just something that he did to it, that could be the the cloaks true form.)  

I had a few days to think about this (and do work too lol).  Here's what I've come up with: 

"If that is the case than White and Black SHOULD be opposites."

Feelings that one gets when one drafts are opposite, but not necessarily luxin properties.  For instance, at the ends of the spectrum (not including black, white, chi, and paryl) you have sub-red and superviolet.  The emotions are opposite, yes, (super logical vs. hot passion) but are the properties of sub-red and superviolet so different? Fire crystal vs. spider silk?  Blue and red are opposites as well. Blue is hard and chalky while red is sticky; not really opposites, in my opinion, but the emotions of logical vs. passion are indeed opposites.  

So I think that emotions of black and white luxin should be opposite, but not necessarily the properties. This leads to my next point:

"From what we can see so far, it takes Black luxin to draw other luxin from the body...The balance for taking away luxin should be the giving part."

Black luxin also gives the black drafter the ability to draft; he/she doesn't need white luxin.  That's why I'm convinced that the dagger has three separate components: black to take and give, the jewels for storage, and white for lightsplitting.

Actually, come to think of it, there is some evidence for the "white gives theory".  If we think about how the knife grew after stabbing Gavin, I believe the musket-sword was mostly white with a thin spin of black.  Maybe that's indicative of all the power inside.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Brent Weeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service