The Brent Weeks Network

For fans of The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series

Book 4 Questions and Discussion [Lots of Spoilers-don't read if you haven't finished]

I'm just going to jump right into it.

1.  I think Gavin (Dazen) killed Sevastian and that was actually the first time he used black luxin to forget. I think I've said this theory before, but I'll reiterate it.  From my memory, there is no one else who saw the blue Wight, and Gavin himself said that the whole thing didn't make any sense.  There is evidence that black luxin causes forgetfulness and madness.  That isprobably also how he gained his first drafting abilities.  I don't think he did it intentionally, but the black luxin could have been triggered by a nightmare or something.  

On that note, it's still not clear how Gavin's eyes became prismatic and Koios' did not.  My theory is that because Gavin can draft white luxin as well (battle of Garriston and around Ironfist's neck in this book), that's why he is a full prism and The White King is not.  

2.  Consistency error: in this book, Essel said she's 35.  Is that possible? Gavin shrived her mother on his first Sun day (a subred from the False Prism's War, I believe- from book 2 maybe) and the mom made her promise to take care of her young daughter.  How can Essel by 35, unless she was approximately Gavin's age when he shrived her mother?

3.  Andross claims Kip to be his son, but Lina claimed that Gavin (the real Gavin) raped her.  It was mentioned that Lina was a librarian and Andross needed to seduce her, but did the book say Gavin rape her afterwards?  Also, the old prophecy of the Lightbringer makes sense now: "Of red cunning, the youngest son, Will cleave father and father and father and son.” Kip is the youngest of Andross' children (red cunning), but I'm not sure about the last part.

Also, I think that Kip's mom was a Chi drafter, possibly from the Order.  If Paryl causes deep emotions, than Chi, on the opposite should cause disconnection and possibly sociopathic results.  She smoked the haze to deal with her lack of emotion and the trauma of sexual assault.   

4.  I originally thought that Tisis' vaginismus was a plot device to keep Kip from fully connected with her and eventually get him getting back with Teia.  Now, I'm not so sure. I know it's a real, serious concern for women, but I thought it was meant to keep them apart.  Now, I think it made their relationship stronger.  In many fantasy books, and in the Night Angel Trilogy for example, Doll Girl had to die for Kylar to be with Vi. I feel like some fantasy authors having trouble defining and explaining these relationships in their books.  Like one has to die to reconcile the divide between them.  Brent still might kill off Tisis, but I think Teia's path is leading her down a dangerous path, creating a rift between Kip and Teia.

5.  One of the dead men claim that Gavin committed Filicide which is the murder of a son or daughter?  Did I miss something here?

Views: 3379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha!LOL  Ya I have been working on it in my head too. 

With the Black Luxin, I think a black drafter is like the hellstone dagger or maybe more like the jewels themselves.  The black takes from whatever it touches and "fills" the user like they are one big reservoir. They are not really giving it at all because it is already inside them. The way I figure, when they add enough of all the colors it causes an evolution of some sort and the eyes change. 

What I think I have been trying to get at is maybe there is a difference between Lightsplitters (Capital L) and Prisms. Like a prism can only split light with their eyes and not the rest of the abilities a true Lightsplitter gets. 

One of things I always though kinda odd was the rarity of the shimmercloaks. We know that it takes a Lightsplitter giving away their ability (skin??) to make each one so why couldn't the Order mass produce them using expired Prisms as a resource? If they are going to die anyway after a multiple of 7 years, they could have a lot of cloaks that way. (or I can totally see them "borrowing" the knife and just making a Prism to sacrifice or to use as a weapon before being sacrificed.)

Also I am not sure that everyone who can draft Black can also draft white. It seems like a lifestyle choice from what Orholam the rowing slave was saying. Like once you have started down the black path you can't use white anymore? he says something like 'how could you use the soul poison when you have his grace' or some such. (Meaning that Gavin(Dazen) is even MORE of a freak of nature than we thought being that he is a Black Lightsplitter that can also draft White! he should be considered an exception not a rule lol. )

Anyway, with the knife, since it is storing the drafting collected in the jewels, the White is what is needed to transfer those reservoirs to the new host. Thereby making the user of the knife into a fake black drafter really. 

PS. I just saw the part about the knife growing into the sword. I think that may either be the result of the sword stealing Gavin's Lightsplitter ability or just the fact that he had both Black AND White luxin in his body (Which as I said above is super unique) 

I forget where on here I saw that but someone made a good point that the sword could not have just grown like it was a tree - the luxin had to come from somewhere - it took the extra mass it needed from Gavin's body 

"One of things I always though kinda odd was the rarity of the shimmercloaks.We know that it takes a Lightsplitter giving away their ability (skin??) to make each one "

I don't think that's true. When Gavin put on the shimmercloak he had the same burning sensation that Teia had when she used Paryl to "burn" people at Ruic Head. Check it out, the feeling is described the same way. The cloaks combine the users lightsplitting with the paryl infused in the cloak.

Teia got the Order's attention because of her paryl abilities; they didn't know if she was a Lightsplitter before testing her. Having another paryl lightsplitter like Sharp is incredibly rare. 

So Shimmercloak users have to be Lightsplitters, but the invisibility one gains is the result of the paryl connecting to your blood (stabbing feeling in neck), making you invisible (like the Mistwalkers).

Or, maybe, shimmercloaks provide both lightsplitting and paryl to get invisibility? 

The knife grew in size when Kip used it to kill Vox.  He stated that there was no way it would fit in the sheath, but he tried and there was a flash of light when it is fully sheathed.  

I checked back and it was a lightning flash that he saw. Not a flash from the knife. I think it had grown since the first time it had been stabbed into Gavin but it still fit the sheath at that point. 

Anyone want to address the questions or theories I proposed? Need to discuss!!! 

well, as to #2 I do not know that she was a baby when her mother joined the freeing in that flashback. If we are talking about Essel though, we should talk about the fact that she is likely a traitor and the reason Gavin(Dazen) got locked up! I felt real bad for her since Karris sent her to take Gavin to the healers to get patched up. When Ironfist goes to check on Gavin/ Meet with his uncle, Grimwoody says that the blackguard & Healers are dead. Now go to the new book and she is wandering around giving advice to the nunks! 

#3 Andross said that she had sent a letter to BOTH of them. It seems that after she had been run off the first time, she came back to purposely seduce Gavin(real) specifically to steal the knife. I doubt that either Andross or Gavin(real) did any raping but Andross likely did whatever it took to get the info he needed, which we see in the flashback was more like making promises he never intended to keep. I'm sure it was always her intention to use Kip to destroy the entire Guile family in revenge for being cast aside. It was likely info on the Knife that Andross had been after so she also knew exactly what it does to drafters. 

As to her drafting Chi. I think we have enough clues now to determine that Chi drafting is likely (as you said) the opposite of Paryl in that it emotionally disconnects you from your surroundings. We get one clue in this book to that effect as we see a card flash back where a Chi Drafter is using Chi to hide from hunters. Downside to Chi drafting though is it seems to cause terminal cancer in its users so i do not think that Lina was one of those though we cant really tell with how much dope she was always on. 

#5 Yep, i see what you are looking at there - i did not catch that - maybe Dazen had a bastard after all? 

#2: Just Googled it: in the Broken Eye Chapter 24, "I have a daughter, High Lord Prism. She's three..."  So either Essel is lying or there's an error here.  Not sure if she's the traitor, she might have just left with Karris and Ironfist after the raid.

#5: Rereading again and still don't get the filicide comment.

#2 Ya, that would make her what, 19 at best? the Essel in the Blood Mirror was 34ish i seem to remember.  

#5 Ya, I checked as well, I missed it the first few times because it was on audiobook and I just associated it as him killing his brother but that would be Fratricide. maybe it is a metaphoric child? What could be considered his "baby?" Pretty sure BW would not make a mistake like that so it is very likely a big clue! 

So I looked up the definition of Filicide, it's the killing of your child/son/daughter.  Different from infanticide which is the killing of a child/infant. Too specific to be an error, I agree. God, I should be working on my dissertation lol.

The filicide comment could have been the djinn prisoner trying to confuse Gavin/Real Dazen.

Or it could be the djinn dropping knowledge about the future. We know djinn live outside time. So before getting trapped he could have seen a future when Gavin/Real Dazen kills his adopted son Kip. Hence the filicide comment.

What about at the end of the book when tisis told keep he brought light. Surely there is more to the lightbringer than getting close to breaking the halo and fixing a ceiling. Thoughts? Also dezin/Gavin killing sevastion is a great theory. What if at 8 sevastion became a wite dezin then had to kill him then drafting black to forget. Or what if sevastion was a blue drafter and dezin killed him to get his power by drafting the black.

I think Brent is making us start to not like Gavin so that he can be killed by kip before he can kill orhalm. The red cunning poem theory and all. We spent to much time on Tisis and Kip the couple though. Don't get me wrong I understand the character growth. I just feel we are left with more questions than answers however let us not forget the 3rd eye and the note she gave Corios I think it was telling carris where Gavin is but the 3rd eye had to lie to Corios because he and Gavin would die but carris is the only 1 that can bring Gavin back Sorry for all the misspelled words I am on my phone and I am a graphicaudio listener and I heard blood mirror on audiobook because I could not wait

I am really starting to think that Dazen may have been (is haunted the right word?) by one of the 200 immortals from early on. Dazen may have never had a chance with that little evil voice in his head telling him to do things he may never have considered on his own. In this case they tell us how Andross thought young Dazen was born with no drafting at all. He may have gone years before Janus the Mirror told him he was a black drafter. 

In the earlier flashbacks from just before the burning of the White Oak manor. I think Dazen was a Blue/Green BiChrome only. That is why the brothers thought it would be safe to lock Dazen in a house filled with only Red light. 

I am really scared that poor Dazen may have been tricked into killing his own brother in order to get his first colors. It would have been right after Gavin(real) turned 13 and left Dazen and Sevastian behind and Dazen would have been at his weakest thinking that he was of no worth to his father unless he could draft colors.

Which leads back to the color prison. I (hope?) bet his ultimate goal in building it was to eventually trap his "Inner Demon" in the black and free himself from that influence. It would at least give him a better excuse than just that he did not want to live with the memories. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Brent Weeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service