The Brent Weeks Network

For fans of The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series

So...I've finished Book 4.

What a journey! Karris' decisions as the White and her inner checklist of things to do were awesome to read about. I didn't like Karris both as a character and how she was written in most of the previous three books - too much emphasis on how 'bad-ass' she supposedly was but delivering little, too much emphasis on how perfect in almost every way she's supposed to be, and treating Gavin and Kip pretty poorly. However in this Book she really comes to her own and finally lives up to the reverence the other characters always seem to give her. I loved the scene where she gets tired of Andross' shit, knocks him over and holds him at knife-point. Her looking out at Gavin's boat right as she writes him off for dead was tragic in a good that's-so-sad way, not in a bad omg-why-don't-you-just-find-him way.

Teia getting further and further embroiled in the Broken Eye was gut-wrenching. It was so frustrating when she didn't get to report to Karris for so much of the early part of the book! We can see how she struggles with her orders and her morals as she's ordered to kill innocents and not-so-innocents. Her killing of the Nuqaba is the first time that her character was truly scary to me. Denouncing the Nuqaba to hell, letting her life-blood gush out of her wrists, making sure that the Nuqaba had absolutely no control over her own body all while staring her in the eyes was chilling. Despite all her justifications on doing it, Teia's actions have irrevocably changed her. One thing I liked about Teia's arc was while her relationship with Kip was definitely still hanging around her, aside from her first few chapters she doesn't think too much about it. She left the Mighty at the end of The Broken Eye to do her job, and that's just what she does. It will be very interesting to see how she brings down (or attempts to bring down) the Broken Eye in the final book - she has done a pretty good job of getting them to underestimate her so far.

Kip and the Mighty's storyline was very fun to read. While Kip has still has the self-doubt and self-hate that is part of his character, actions speak louder than words and his actions as both a commander and a warrior in this book are of a true hero. Kip has grown so much since the beginning of the series. At this point, is I doubt he's even overweight at all and it's all in his head. There's no way a anyone can go through a year of Blackguard training, get almost starved to death and then fight a battle for a year and still be fat. We can also really see Kip's Guile-ness when he deals with the Council of Divines. He doesn't just take charge, he throws his power around, he humiliates, he takes total control. I could easily see Gavin or Andross do something similar, so amazing character building there. One thing I also really, really like is Kip realising that his infatuations with various women have been very short-lived. He realises that while his bond with Teia was strong, it was in the end not for a very long time and comparable to his obsessions over Liv and Isa. He wasn't bound to Teia at all.

The relationship between Tisis and Kip was obviously a focal point of the novel. A lot of time was spent on it. This was one of the biggest surprises of the novel to me, I thought that Kip ending up with Teia was a certainty, with Tisis travelling alone to Ruthgar. And honestly, it was worth it. Kip and Tisis' relationship was one the most well-developed and life-like relationships I've ever read. The beginning was so incredibly cringey and awkward from both of them, while at the end they feel so comfortable with each other. I felt like shouting at Kip for being so oblivious when he was working on that rope-spear which was so obviously a symbol of his feelings for Teia, the only rope-spear user he knows. I'm a little bit confused as to how Tisis knew that Teia uses a rope-spear...I actually went back to the previous book and couldn't find any scene where Tisis see's Teia's rope-spear? Anyway, when Tisis' problem is finally fixed and they consummate the marriage a year late it was a very tender moment. Drawing out the problem all the way to the very last chapter of the novel was a little frustrating though, I would have liked to see Kip and Tisis work together for a bit after that final hurdle is cleared. Although maybe that was the point - to see a working and loving relationship between a man and a woman without explicit sex. I'll admit that I was very confused when Kip refers to them 'making love' a few times without mentioning that the problem was fixed. I can't wait to see them work together in the final book. Tisis and Teia's reactions to each other when they inevitably meet is also going to be very interesting.

Gavin's imprisonment answered many questions but I seeded so many new questions too. We finally got some confirmation that the Blinding Knife creates Prisms. However who exactly knows what the Blinding Knife does and how Prisms are made? How did a Black Drafter somehow become a Prism? If Koios is a black drafter how come he isn't a Prism? What exactly are the properties of Black Luxin? This one is so incredibly frustrating to me. While there are many mysteries hinted at in the novel like Immortals, origins of magic and White Luxin, Black Luxin is the one that everyone seems to know about but we as the readers never get to find out. All the knowledgable people conveniently hold back their information even though there isn't too much of a reason for them to do so. Andross literally says he's an expert on the matter and then says 'he doesn't have time for a lecture'? Argh! Really annoying. Away from that, who are the 'dead men'? Did Dazen really imprison Gavin and the dead men are lying, or did Dazen imagine the whole thing? There is something nefarious going on here. Dazen's struggle with his past as well has his relationship with his Father was very well done. Dazen's story is so full of twists and turns I have absolutely no idea what he's going to do in the next book.

Black Luxin
So what do we know about Black Luxin? It's connected to memory loss, but how does that memory loss work? Does the act of drafting it instantly remove random memories, or do you have control over if and which memories you lose? It is constantly connected to madness, and it does seem like the two drafters we know about, Dazen and Koios are a little insane. But is that 'madness' just another way of discussing the memory loss? Black Luxin has something to do with stealing powers, but how? Does the victim have to die, and if so how must the victim be killed? How did Dazen become a Prism? What is the difference between 'living' and 'dead' Black Luxin, if there even is one? Why is Koios is using Black Luxin in his slave-necklaces and not any other colour?

The Blinding Knife
What does the Blinding Knife really do? We got confirmation on it making Prisms, but how? It can't be true that only a Prism can survive being stabbed with it, because Andross survived and he seems to have benefitted from it. What does getting stabbed by it actually do? It sapped Gavin of his colour-sight and his drafting, but stabbing Andross actually removed his wight-ness. In fact, did it give Andross the ability to draft super-violet? If so how it determine when to give power and when to take it away? Is it's original purpose to return colour wights back into drafters, by removing the excess Luxin or whatever happens to wights when they break the halo? It does seem like the ceremony of the Freeing should be done by using the Blinding Knife, instead of a normal knife. If the Blinding Knife can only be used by a Prism, how come both Zymun and Kip managed to use it? Does it do different things when used by a drafter compared to being used by a Prism? The Blinding Knife has Black Luxin in it, but also a lot of White Luxin - that has to have something to do with how it works, but how? How does it keep changing shape?

The Dead Men and Dazen's brother
How much of what the Dead Men told Dazen is true? If they lied why are they lying to him? It seems ridiculous that so much time be spent on Gavin's exploits in the first two books only for him to be a figment of Dazen's imagination. I always thought it was unbelievable that Gavin could survive sixteen years in a cell by himself with nothing to do and not go completely insane, but attributed that to the fact that Gavin was a person with incredible mental fortitude. The sheer amount of time spent on Gavin' character in the first two books leads me to believe that the Dead Men are lying. If the Dead Men are lying about that, then what else are they lying about? Are they truly Dazen will-casting his personality on Luxin? That seems unbelievable and nothing like the will-casting we were introduced to in Kip's Arc. Did Dazen really kill the White Oak brothers on purpose to steal their powers? Dazen seems like a good person both now and in childhood, something collaborated by both his mother and father, so it seems unlikely he would do such an evil thing on purpose. What, then, is the purpose of the Dead Men? In the final chapters Grinwoody mentions something terrible living under the Chromeria, which fits the Dead Men. The one in the Black cell does certainly seem strange, since we can't see it, it has a different personality and spoke in a weird-ass language that apparently can't be expressed phonetically. If the Black Dead Man is different, does that mean the rest of them are actually what they say they are? Even if they are what they say they are, couldn't they be lying anyway, since their purpose was to drive the prisoner mad? So many questions!

Woah, a long post and it's been a while since I lurked these forums. I loved this novel!

Views: 4819

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tia does say that she sees Red and Green as the same shade of grey. This comes up when she thinks about how her bunk mates tease her sometimes and tell her she is wearing red when she means to wear green. As well as the incident during the battle to take the cliff fort.  

The point is that regardless of the fact that she has never seen the color Red or Green herself, she was able to "feel" them individually when she had her eyes closed. If the ability of a lightsplitter is in the skin rather than the eyes, maybe Colors can be drafted with no eyes at all. 

With Gavin now completely colorblind due to the Blinding Knife the question becomes if the sword also stole his ability as a lightsplitter? I think the fact that he is supposed to still have Black Luxin in his body (and presumably White as well now) then that is what the sword fed on to increase its mass. If he still has his lightsplitting ability, he may be able to still draft as a Prism does. 

There has to be SOME purpose to the "feeling" the light rather than just the aesthetics of it. I know that Tea was using it to change her Paryl cloud but is that really the only use? 

I agree that Andross isn't wholly bad, likely he's been keeping the Chromeria afloat. I just don't trust him to give the full story. But holy shit that Teia idea!!! Didn't even think of it, you're a genius!

I also think that Tiea has a chance of becoming the next prism. all you need is a lightsplitter, the blinding knife and the seven colors drafters to extract the powers. all the powers have already been extracted, so who knows.....

I'm not so sure, it could be (and it would be nice?), but i feel like she's more a low profile character (not in importance, please don't misundertand me) that works better in the shadows. 

I think the Blinding Knife would not be able to correct her color blindness. Think about Gavin, when he lost blue, he went and killed a huge amount of Blues and did not regain his blue drafting. Pretty sure it is permanent for him and Tiea as well.

Andross putting Gavin the last prision as bain for Grinwoody would be a great idea. Andross knows all along that Grinwoody is the master of the broken eye and keeps him close. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Meanwhile Grinwoody is thinking he has fooled Andross.

I think Gavin will at somepoint retake the name Dazen and it will be part of his journey to knowingly draft white. He will use white to destoy the black seed crystal in the knife and the black luxin eye patch. He will then stab the magical luxin nexus with the knife and take the power for himslef and then he will become Orholam. The series is about how God/Orholam is born. Or maybe he tries to steal Orholams powers and kip has to kill him. Remember Orholams is rerferred as father sometimes as is the prism.

So i'm a bit split on this book. still loved it

Kips character. His scenes started of on a strong note with the storm, but the rest of his scenes sort of seemed rinse and repeat to me. 

Was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see the White King's and Zyum's point of view even once. Really think White King is not really the one in charge on his side.

Gavin's and Teia's scenes were the best for me. Whether or not Gavin is mad to a degree, I think the prisons were likely built to hold the immortals in, (or maybe for him when he realized he was a ticking time bomb) especially when the dead man in the black cell was urging him to kill Andross so they can escape and also when he wanted him to touch the walls and the seed crystal in his eyes to join him, a weird thing for a will to do. Plus not sure if I missed this but can wills "grow" or mature? when the dead man said i have also changed through the years or something like that, suspicios. What I want to know is how he knew he can steal powers as a black drafter in the first place? did these immortals that were possibly with him from the start teach him? or did he read up on what black luxin does? plus really think he possibly killed Sebastian. To me it will make sense than the blue bane story. Plus he was (or thought he was I guess) a blue/green bi-chrome before he got the rest from the White oak boys, so where did he get those colors from before the age of 16?

Also (conspiracy theory) If the Immortals were with Gavin since he was young and he started the prism war through actions that may have been as a result of their persuasion, that eventually led to the White king who I also think is influenced by or being used by the immortals In some way, means they are likely pawns to a bigger picture?. Plus It makes sense they are the ones used as the two most Charismatic leaders, with the ability to draft black and amass and persuade a lot of devoted followers to do as they want, resulting in chaos.

My thoughts on White Luxin/the Blinding Knife... It's bad for Prisms or at least for Black Luxin drafters because the white and the black would cancel each other out. But for all other colors, the white luxin somehow absorbs the excess luxin in the drafter's body, bringing them back to their pre-drafting levels.

I wondered about what Grinwoody said near the end of the novel. He said the Chromeria erased it's history. I would like to think that there was a time in its history in which shriving was done with a white luxin blade instead of a steel one and that rather than take a drafter's life, it was given back to them. But then the ability to draft white luxin was lost and so the Chromeria needed to keep wights from taking over the world and the sad necessity of the current form of shriving took over.

The Black Dead Man... I'm almost positive that it's a trapped immortal, similar to the one that got fried by the glare. Which, given that an immortal's value on how it spends one day in the world is hugely important, being trapped for decades must have been infuriating. Although how Dazen trapped it is a bit of a mystery to me. But, it is linked to the Black Luxin because it told Dazen (or Gavin, if you prefer) to touch the new Black in his eye socket to the black of the cell in order to carry the immortal out with him. Wisely (I think), Dazen passed on the offer.

That being said, there was a time at which the Black Dead Man said something about the rules. Also after Kip saved the ship, the figure that healed him said something about being allowed to heal him. We've seen some of the rules about how time works, but I wonder what the rest of the rules are for immortals.

one rule would be that they could talk , intimidate , seduce or even subvert or possess(only willing servants) but cant take physical action (direct action) , its like a chess game , you can move pieces but you cant lift your opponents pieces directly or destroy the board .but i believe both orholom and orolam are trying to destroy their opponents once and for all . orholom found a willing servant in kip and orolam believes that he had coerced gavin through broken eye . next book i believe is going to be hell of a ride

One of the things I loved best about this book was a wonderful, accurate fiction story about vaginismus. I realize a lot of people didn't particularly care for Kip's storyline, but seeing the two of them work on their relationship, to be committed to working their marriage (ALL aspects) of it out despite what they felt about others warmed by working towards sex therapist marriage and family therapist heart. 

Seeing Kip work through everything about himself and his realtionship was wonderful. We don't just get over our self talk, even if we know, logically, in our heads we are not the person our self-talk tells us we are. And we see Kip struggle with that, we see him grow internally this book instead of externally. And it was done in such a real way. 

AND HOLY BAWLS did I mention a real, honest to goodness, unapologetic story line about the struggles and emotions of very real female sexual dysfunction? BOW before Brent Weeks and his amazing brain. BOW before him (but you know not literally, idolatry and all).  Thank you truly for being an advocate and helping to educate people. 

As to the black luxin, the thing that stood out to me, was Grinwoody telling Gavin that the "white king" was using will cast black luxin to control his wights/gods/goddesses, but that over long distances it didn't work really. So why is Grinwoody's different?

I LOVED KIP.

I don't really understand why a few people didn't enjoy him as much as i did. Maybe it's just personal preference? but i loved his chapters and enjoyed them the most, the character development was delicious for Kip, Tisis and the Mighty, the military campaigning was superb and well executed, Tisis and his relationship was a surprising delight. But the pure joy of seeing his inner Guile coming out was the greatest thing of all. 

Karris, i have always hated her. She always struck me of being hypocritical and annoying. But she really picked herself up in this book and flourished. Having Andross in the majority of her chapters helped a great deal, man i love that guy.

Lucidonius was a black drafter we know that from the order of broken eye . And there is a black luxin prison under chromeria which holds a djinn ,possibly Abbadon , why you ask ,becacuse abbadon was king of fallen , every djinn attaches itself to a drafter and if the drafter is a bi or polychrome , djinn shows a very strong favour to a single color and lets admit black is strongest of them all perhaps excluding white .so abbadon prefering black makes sense to me . so my theory , lucidonius drafted that prison trapping abbadon in it . at some point abbadon is going to get free , kip is going to face abbadon and settle this once and for all . and gavin drafted white we know he doesnt believe it . but i think he will draft it again and purge himself of black . and then i believe he will do something spectacular and audacious and beautiful . and i simply refuse to believe a man who had gone through such horrendous and gut wrenching soul searching will just bend over do what bad men wanted him to do . for gods sake andross guile judged dazen a good man with a good heart , the son who did the right thing , andross might see that as a weakness but i dont .

RSS

© 2017   Created by Brent Weeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service