The Brent Weeks Network

For fans of The Night Angel Trilogy and The Lightbringer Series

Reading Blinding Knife again and I really want there to be a card game! be so much fun to play, sounds interesting.

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm a big fan of strategic games in general, (especially the German games) and really enjoy a number of TCG's (trading card games). I DO plan to develop a card game of Nine Kings, but it's a big, long process. I've played games based on other author's work--and found them to, well, to be blunt, to suck. I won't slap my name on something that isn't good just in order to cash in. So I'm working on developing a game with a mathematics professor (and huge game geek) friend of mine. But it's going to be years.

That's just the price of things when you care about quality. (Also, I'm trying to write novels here!)

Why not work with Fantasy Flight Games to make it?

They do a lot of LCG games, like LOTR, Call of Cthulu and Star Wars

With their experience they may be able to help you create the game

Fair enough novels are much more important and i will agree with on the other games sucking but I do appreciate you making them quality games. Books first cards later. Thanks for all that you have done

I can't wait to play it, hope it turns out as well as you hope! 

but i was thinking what if they made it like the game "settlers of catan." You can base the base game cards. not so much tradeing cards and then can buy expansions of the game

Some reason the game RISK popped into my head. >.>

No offense to Mr. Weeks, however, I found that so far, the concept of Nine Kings is ridiculously close to the concept of MtG (although, to be fair, most TCGs are really similar at this point). If your interested in trying out TCGs, I would argue MtG is the best one out there (but that's my biased preference), but there are many many different ones, and you can find multiple online, some of which are on facebook and easily accessible (such as Tyrant, Confrontation, neither of which I personally enjoyed, but to each his own) and then others that aren't online through Facebook such as Urban Rivals, BattleCraft (gameshydra.com), and Fallen Worlds.

Also, you can play printed games such as MtG online through MtGO, Apprentice, Cockatrice, and Magic Work Station.

Shameless advertisement: I am one of the players who now helps design BattleCraft. Its an infant game, but try it out!!!!!!!

Anyway back on topic, I would argue that Nine Kings should be online. Its original, it could be sucessful printed, but to be honest, I would rather, and I think everyone would agree with this, that Mr. Weeks continue writting books. The benefits of being online though is that it opens access to more people, including those who are just searching for a card game and have not actually read the books, and allow for people around the world to play against each other who do play the game, rather than stuck in small groups. 

In an Interview Mr. Weeks said that a friendly Mathprofessor introduced him to MtG(just so he could play against him, love that kind of friends^^) and if i got the context correct that lead him to the creation of Nine Kings, so no wonder the concet is close^^

I don´t really understand the concept of an online card game, is there a set of cards online and you select your cards for your deck, or do you have to purchase cards online for your deck, or are there some premade decks you use?

I think it would be the best as a real card game, but not a Trading Card game. More like you buy a set with all cards and make your deck out of them (like in the card game Samsh Up). Then maybe 2-3 extensions packs. Only add a good set of rules and a good setting and i will fangasm^^

Playing it online is basically doing it printed, except...on a computer. Such as MtGO, the game is exactly the same, and the battle engine is designed to prevent cheating and simulate the game exactly (it does stacks, phase changes, it prevents any form of cheating). Instead of playing IRL though, your playing against random people at any time at your convenience. The reason I would think this would work better online is because the player base would be fairly limited (to those that read the books, AND have an interest in TCGs, and then actually bother to get it. But then, who do they play against?). It would basically be a printed version of the game, it would just allow all players access to one another without having to make travel plans.

THe concept of a trading card game online basically follows printed. You have an online collection, build decks through them, you have an online store, etc. etc. You have battles, you can find random opponents or duel someone specific, participate in online tournaments. The only downside to this is - your online collection has no value outside the actual game. I could sell my MtG collection for at least a grand without trying, but a collection of similar worth in an online card game? would fetch maybe 200.

Each game does it differently too. Some applications of Magic online give you every single card available, infinite copies. Others, such as the official one, give you a premade set (although it is a large set) that can only be used in a specific format. If you want to extend past that set of cards and play other formats (such as Standard, Legacy, etc.) you have to purchase either other premade decks, or hope to get lucky in packs, or trade with other people.

The Nine Kings it's a game based on characters of the seven satrapies, so I don't know how someone can play the game without knowledge of the people and environment described on the books. 

that would be amazing! And since the amount of information in the world will be finite we probably won't have new release sets every few months like magic.

^the possibilities of the world aren't much more finite than magics, conceivably this could become as big as Harry potters TCG, which had at least 6 different release sets, or pokemon's which has a lot more.  we won't know the limit of the world unless weeks stops writing in it and then dies(not that it might not end if he dies first, but In cases with worlds where an immense backstory is created like Tolkien's LOTR or GL's Star Wars, or James Bond/Sherlock Holmes, the story's growth can outlive the author.)

P.S. yes I know GL isn't dead, but his worlds property is no longer his and could very well outlive him

RSS

© 2017   Created by Brent Weeks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service