Working as Brent’s assistant involves many different tasks. Some weeks, I’m copyediting exclusively. Other times I’m researching 15th-century galleons. Sometimes I’m organizing mailings for a contest. And once in a while, I’m taking down orders for the local sushi place.
Since Brent can’t update everyone on what he’s doing (he’s hard at work actually writing those novels), I thought it would be fun to give you samplings of what we’ve been putting our efforts into.
So, this week:
- Early in the week, I read writing advice books. We’re constantly trying to improve the website and provide meaningful content to fans. The Writing Advice section of www.brentweeks.com has become a big part of that. So Brent asked me to take a look at what some other folks have done to see what’s worked, what hasn’t, and what topics we’ve missed.
- Brent has been busy writing (as usual), and has got up to 50,000 words so far in The Blood Mirror! He’s right on track with where he’d like to be.
- He had to take a break from the novel writing later in the week for a couple of other projects:
- One was a phone conference about a super-secret business deal we can’t tell you about yet. Boo. But as soon as we can, we will!
- Another project was more mundane: fixing the lawn. Brent could write volumes about that lawn. Besides beer-brewing, lawn care really is his other hobby. It’s gone well this year, too. (Sadly, I can no longer ask him how his field of clover is going.) But now the gophers have shown up. Again. Brent & Kristi had thought they were dealt with pretty thoroughly last year, but the critters can’t seem to take a hint. Time for the Ghostbusters! (Er, Gopher-busters?)
- Brent has also been working on a concise outline of his book. He already has a pretty thorough one in his notes, but he needs another for his editors to show the folks upstairs. For some reason, they needed more than a two-sentence “here’s my idea”. ;)
- Phone calls have dominated the latter part of this week for me. Brent’s internet/phone/TV provider, his security company, and even window washer -- you’d be amazed at how living in a flyway can take quite a *ahem* toll on the cleanliness of your windows -- have all required numerous calls, callbacks, and waiting on hold.
- I’ve also been researching online web stores, since we *may* have one in the future. At some point. I’ve looked at hosting our own online store with Night Angel and/or Lightbringer gear, outsourcing the store, and all sorts of other options. Like a lot of things we do, this is pretty speculative, and some things go in the camp of “not viable yet, but maybe in a couple years...”
Well, that’s it for this week! Hope you all are off to a fantastic weekend!